What to expect:
In tonight’s meetup, we will discuss the basic functionality of WordPress:
- The differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- How to log into your site (typically, http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin )
- How to create new content
- The differences between pages & posts
- Adding media files (images, video, etc.) and accessing the media library
- How to modify your website/blog’s appearance
- Choosing and installing a theme
- Plugins (see previous posts at WP Austin for lots of plugin ideas, or ask us!)
- Settings, including privacy and permalinks
Every server/hosting company will have a different process to install WordPress. The folks at WordPress.org recommend a number of companies that optimize for WordPress and make installation simple (see http://wordpress.org/hosting/). For those who need to install WordPress on their own server, visit http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress.
After the presentation, we will have members available to help with installing WordPress or getting your site set up.